Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What is drawing? - Kerri Banach

What is drawing? Are there specific tools/surface/media interaction that define this act? Must it be 2-D and does it require a frame/boundary to exist?

Drawing is a visual art form of expression, that includes the act of marking lines and/or shapes and areas of tone onto a surface.

I found a definition online that I thought was great and how I feel towards the question: "Drawing as formal artistic creation might be defined as the primarily linear rendition of objects in the visible world, as well as of concepts, thoughts, attitudes, emotions, and fantasies given visual form, of symbols and even of abstract forms"


I suppose that there are specific tools, surfaces, and interactions that define this act.  Common tools are pencils, pen and ink, colored pencils, crayons, charcoal, etc.. A common surface would be a form of paper. The reason I think it's limited to these details mentioned above, is that if it becomes another form of medium, or a 3-D object, then it changes the method? (That is what I think!) For example, you don't draw with paints, rather you paint with paints. So you are painting. You don't draw a sculpture, rather you sculpt a sculpture. I feel like I've made my argument, but i'm sure so many people feel differently!! As far as frame and boundary, no I do not think it requires these to be a drawing as long as you are sticking to the act of a drawing. 

Must drawing be graphic in nature? Elaborate with at least 2 examples:

In my opinion, yes drawings must and are graphic by nature. The definition of something graphic is: 
1. gibing a clear and effective picture.
2. pertaining to the use of diagrams, graphs, curves, or the like.
3. of, pertaining to, or expressed by writing.
4. written, inscribed, or drawn.

So whether you are drawing a bunch of lines, or a detailed image, are still depicting something graphic. See below.
drawing of lines
Sue Bryan -
Woodland (boundary) - Charcoal & Carbon on Arches
Does the act of drawing necessarily result in a drawing? Are the two mutually inclusive? Explain.

I think the act of drawing always result in a drawing. Like I mentioned above, whether you are drawing scribbled lines, or a detailed depiction, you are still drawing. The scribbles are then, in fact, a drawing of scribbles.  So, yes, the two are mutually inclusive. 

Does drawing serve as the basis for other forms of art or stand on its own? Does it matter that we make a distinction?

In a way, yes, I think that drawing serves as the basis for other forms of art, but also stands on it's own. The idea of drawing an image or mark making is expressing something in the tangible world and or a fictional idea.  So, a sculptor is sculpting something as an expression of something in the tangible world or a fictional idea. I think the ideas are all similar, just the physical act is what is different. I think it matters that we make a distinction to be more clear on the medium, no the idea.

Examples that I feel best exemplify DRAWING:

Pablo Picasso - Line drawing
I chose this image because I feel the simplicity really captures the idea of drawing. It represents some sort of visual image by way of using a tool such as pen/pencil. 

William Harrison - "Oreos" - Wolff Carbon Pencil on Fabriano Artistico 300-pound paper
30" x 22"
I chose this one because it shows the idea of drawing value as a means of expression. Drawings don't necessarily have to be thin lines only and I feel that this image best exemplifies that.

Sue Bryan - "Matriarch" - Charcoal on Watercolor Paper - June 2011
20" x 20"
I chose this one, because the idea of drawing a portrait or person is one of the most popular outcomes of drawings. I like this because it has lines, value, and depicts an idea and of a clear picture/outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment