Monday, February 24, 2014

Intro to Abstraction ( Terry Sager )

Narrative, Non-Narrative, Figurative and Abstract Art

Narrative art is the telling of a story in different art mediums.

Figurative art is taken from real object sources.

I see cartoons as true narrative. The captions tell the true story that the artist portrayed. I see most art tell a different story to each person that views the work and may not have the same meaning as the artist that had tried to portray.
Example-- I painted my Grandfathers farm house with buildings and a row of hedge trees in the background. To viewers this would be a house with several buildings and trees. As the artist I only have the true story behind the creation. I would consider this as narrative as well as figurative art. the painting has narrative as well as recognizable objects.
According to the definition of abstraction art--Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art. therefor I  do believe that abstract art is non- narrative. The viewer may enjoy looking at the artist work, but has little meaning. I have seen more non- narrative abstract art on drawing center website than narrative and figurative art.

Terry Sager



No comments:

Post a Comment