Thursday, May 15, 2014

Experimental Drawings - Kerri Banach

#C - Prompt: Cut out a section of a map, a newspaper, or a chart. Modify the information or respond to the surface/visual information by drawing any way you would like, with your own materials/methods.
I really enjoyed this experimental drawing because it somehow made my mind go in complete left field, which was nice for once.  I usually do things very literal and controlled, but I found this particular prompt to be so open that I was able to do this.  The paper I used came with a printed map and vintage newspaper design. I used the map paper for the background, and cut up the newspaper to create my shapes.  Other than glue and scissors, I only used black micron pens and prismacolor markers.  The process of making this piece started with me thinking that the newspaper could look neat cut up as an American Flag.  The original idea was to respond to the map and create a whole travel themed piece, but that changed.  When I was cutting up the newspaper I noticed the blue portion of the flag said “circus” and I instantly turned my brain to think politics.  From there, I decided to draw on the elephant and donkey, which are representative of the Republican and Democratic parties, to get my point across.  I continued to find parts of the newspaper that were reminiscent of a circus, and I decided to collage them onto the page.  The message behind the piece is the “circus” like act that occurs in politics and how everyone across the United States is affected by it (hence the map).  This piece means a lot to me because I’m actually a very political person.  I want to see America strive to be a better place, and wish that our leaders would work harder to help achieve this and not make a circus out of the whole thing.  If I were to change this piece, I could go back to my original theme of travel.  Traveling was the first thing I though of when I saw the map, and I could have maybe created destination spots along the map via iconography.

#F - Prompt: Capture the spirit of a color or favorite food.
I thought a lot about how to capture the spirit of a color and came to many conclusions.  I thought, maybe I can draw items that are that color and hope I get the point across. I chose otherwise when I walked into the church I teach at and saw the stained glass windows with the beautiful colors radiating out at me.  To me this captured the spirit of the multi colors so well, that I thought a monochromatic piece would be just as powerful.  I used pastel paper, prismacolor markers, oil pastels, and colored pencils (all being various shades of green).  The process to making this piece initially began with a ruler and a pencil. I drew the cube in the middle and expanded my lines throughout to create the image of a stained glass window.  Why a cube? Well, I thought that rubik's cubes are great ways to showcase colors, so I interpreted that in my own way.  After outlining all my lines in black marker, I began to color in each individual space.  I alternated colors and use the ground color as space as well.  To me, this piece means serenity.  Every time I look at it I’m reminded of the stained glass windows that initially inspired me and made me feel calm.  I think no matter the color, I could capture that same feeling using the pattern I did.  I would love to do this using multi colors and really try to emulate the stained glass windows from the church.  I think it would be effective if I combined my idea of the colored objects, mixed with my stained glass look. Combining green items throughout the spaces that are just a solid color could further leave the impression of the dynamic of the color being presented.

#N - Prompt: Tell the most UPSETTING thing you have ever heard in your life in an image.
I found this experimental drawing to be challenging, for the simple fact that it surfaced feelings I do not like to bring out.  I thought about the word ‘upsetting’ and really sat on that word for a couple days.  I’ve had deaths in my family and also had my father put through one of the most challenging things I continue to face today; but those are not upsetting to me. Those go beyond upsetting, a personal feeling I cannot explain.  So I racked my brain on what else I found to be truly upsetting to me, and 9/11 came to mind.  I remember being a freshman in high school watching the TV when the towers got hit and was extremely upset this could happen to so many people.  I’m big on stationary, and had this transparent paper with subtle roses printed on it that I’ve wanted to use.  I though this would be good to represent the tribute that needs to be paid to this event.  From there, I used watercolors to paint the flag in the background and markers to draw out the numbers.  I used charcoal pencils to create the face, and matches to burn the paper.  The process of making this piece was extremely challenging, as I did not like the way the paper reacted to any of my tools.  The minute I put the watercolor to the paper it began to curl and wrinkle.  In addition to that, the paper would not burn the way I wanted it to. To me, this piece means memory and tribute. I can only imagine what the families went through of the people involved, and thus I included the face crying to represent the pain that we all acknowledge, whether we were there or not.  I think to expand on this I could have actually drawn out the event or included more information, but I felt the boldness of the numbers paid the tribute I wanted.

#E - Prompt: Draw the sound of a jet engine.
This experimental drawing was very challenging, as the prompt directed to draw a sound!  Drawing something that you can hear and not see is open to interpretation by the viewer.  For this particular drawing I thought of the loud noise that a jet makes and instantly thought of the word mayhem.  I chose to create a mess of colors on the page that to me represent that mayhem.  The background paper I chose was a standard paper with a cloud print on it.  I thought putting the random explosion of color on the sky would be a cool juxtaposition of what I was trying to portray.  I used watercolors for the colors, micron pens for small lines, and a white charcoal pencil to add depth.  The process of this piece came very organically, as I just kind of went with it. I started painting colors on top of colors to create that mayhem I thought the sound would ‘look’ like.  From there, I drew an ‘abstract’ version of the engine to add more to the image.  I thought hard about adding the verbiage, and chose to do so because it added the comic effect I was getting from the image.  I chose to add the jet plane in a cartoon form to add to this effect.  To me, this piece means originality.  Actually, the prompt is what I found to be very original.  Drawing a sound is something that is very challenging and not clear black and white.  It means that I was able to branch out of my controlled abilities and think outside the box.  If I were to expand on this I would maybe omit the plane, engine, and verbiage.  I would focus more on the mess of colors to get the message across. But, then is it a drawing?

#J - Prompt: Make a drawing in response to something (a program, sitcom, news broadcast, commercial, etc.) you saw on television.
I tend to watch TV while I do my homework, which is probably not a good idea, until now.  I decided to create this experimental drawing after watching my guilty pleasure show, “The Vampire Diaries.”  Yes, I’m 27 years old and watch shows on the CW, it happens.  The show is obviously about vampires and has an overall dark tone to it.  I chose to give this drawing that same dark tone, and only use black charcoal pencil.  The paper is drawing paper and the border of the TV is created with electrical tape.  When I finished with the drawing I felt it needed some sort of spark, like the show has, so I added the red drop of blood using colored pencil.  The process began with the drawing of the vampire mouth only, but it felt bare and not as inclusive as the show.  The episode I had just watched featured a magic necklace for the immortals, so I chose to include this into the vampire’s mouth.  The rose and the moon were to add the romantic Goth feeling of the architecture in one of the buildings on the show.  From there I chose to add the TV border as a response to the prompt.  I suppose I’ve always like kitschy things, so adding the TV to me was a fun element.  To me, this piece means fantasy.  I love watching this show, because for one hour, 15 with commercials, I can be involved in a fantasy story with attractive characters, and I don’t have to deal with reality.  Also, I’ve always loved vampires since I was a kid, so I suppose I’m partial to this image for the content.  I think I could have removed the border and scaled up the mouth to create more of a focus on the vampire’s teeth. I think that would have made the image less gimmicky and more fantasy.

#K - Prompt: Using cut-up and pasted-on pieces of a coloring book or a ‘fuzzy poster’, create a work.
For this experimental drawing I chose to cut out pieces of a coloring book and create a work.  This was probably the most fun I have had doing these experimental drawings.  I was so inspired by the different storybook stories I was finding, that I wanted them all to live in the same world.  As you can see, I created a moment that would never traditionally happen in these storybook tales.  An example of this is Alice from Wonderland is eyeing her potential suitor Batman, who already has his sights on Chipette. There are many other random inclusions, but I would rather have the viewer point them out as they look!  To create this actual piece, I only used cut out pieces of a coloring book, heavy drawing paper for the foundation, and watercolor paint.  I purposely painted a bit messy to give the allusion of a children’s coloring book.  To me, this piece means fun! I absolutely love cartoons, comics, and all that good stuff!  In addition to fun, it was a nice break from drawing objects in real time and let me explore my imagination a bit further than I normally do.  If I were to expand upon this, I would create an entire children’s coloring book with these random stories.  I think it would be fun to give the characters new meanings just by their placement in relation to others.  If I had the time, I would also like to illustrate my own coloring book, instead of just cutting and pasting already made ones.

#I - Prompt: Draw something expensive in as much detail as possible
I really enjoyed this experimental drawing because it was more challenging than I had anticipated. With the prompt being about something expensive, I chose something just that…a Tiffany’s ring. For this piece I used a heavier drawing paper and graphite/charcoal pencils.  I sketched out the shape of the ring and began shading the specific areas of the diamond.  The process of beginning the piece was fairly easy, it was the execution of the diamond that was challenging. The different values that were needed to create the illusion of shine were not an easy task. As for the ring itself, this ring is a fantasy for me as I’m not sure I could allow my future husband to spend 15,000 on anything that small! Although, if he wants too… I would not stop him!  If I were to expand on this drawing, I would maybe set the ring in an environment rather than just as a sole object.  I do think it being a sole object emphasizes the importance of the ring, but adding a background could still keep this overall vibe.  Another concept that I thought about doing that I would like to try is turning the diamond into a geometric abstract piece.  Similar to the realistic and abstract pieces we did in class, it would be interesting to see how I could distort the image of the ring. Overall, I had fun drawing this ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment