Thursday, May 15, 2014

Experimental and Eyes Post-Chris Marquez

Scratchboard Eyes



Experimental Drawings
Sparrows in the Fall”
Colored pencil and graphite on drawing paper.
The idea for this piece stemmed from drawing prompt F. capturing the spirit of a color or food. I wanted to try and capture the spirit of my favorite time and place, which is during the Fall when the leaves are the perfect color. I’ve never really used colored pencils other than to color maps in high school so I thought this would be a fun way to start. I also really love drawing birds so this seemed like a good subject to try my hand at colored pencils. I started off with a contour drawing in graphite and added color in layers starting with the mid tones, then adding darks and lights. Improvements for this would be to forgo the contour drawing and go straight into color. I like the illustrative aesthetic that the black outlines give the drawing but I feel that it isn’t working in the birds, particularly the one perched on the branch.  


 Coffeecolor Parakeet”
For this drawing I used coffee, brown water color paint, water color paper, and a flat brush. My sister has a parakeet named Peepers, and every morning when I’m drinking my coffee Peepers stares at me and jumps around in his cage and bows up and down repeatedly. I enjoy drawing birds and have been wanting to draw Peepers for a while now so I decided to draw Peepers in coffee. Before starting this drawing I thought that I could use pure coffee and build an image with varying values. However upon trying the draw with coffee I discovered that the coffee didn’t make any dark marks. In order to make a readable image I had to add brown water color to keep with the color of the coffee. As far as meaning goes this drawing is just an experiment with the non-traditional material of my favorite beverage and using the coffee to paint my sister’s pet bird. An improvement that can be made could be the use of color. Peepers is a green and yellow parakeet with a blue beak, seeing how the color of these paints might react when mixed with the brown coffee might be an interesting experiment.

 Trypophobia” 
Repetitive Marks on a Page for an hour
Ball point pen on sketchbook paper
Initially I was going to make uniform circles on a page for an hour. However upon starting I felt that the growth of the piece reminded me of bacterial cultures or some sort of spores and the uniformity didn’t support this image I had in my mind. In this piece I see honeycombs, pomegranate seeds, bubbles, bacterial growth, cobblestones, and mold among other things found in nature. I wanted the growth of the circles across the page to feel natural and fluid. I think that a large version of this drawing would be really intriguing, especially if the circles were to stay the same size they are now. It would be very meticulous.
Trypophobia is the fear of clustered circles or holes. 
 “Sand Paper Flowers”
Materials used: acrylic paint diluted with water on sand paper.
The process for this piece was very fluid and organic. I didn’t want to plan out the drawing because I wanted the fluidity of the paint to naturally move on the page and soften the image. I purchased sandpaper recently for sanding primed canvas and I was curious as to what a drawing or painting on sandpaper would be like. I really like the idea of painting an image of something that’s typically thought of as soft like a flower on something course and grainy like the surface of the sand paper, it’s an interesting binary. This piece can have a multitude of meanings. When thinking about sandpaper the minds thinks rough, and flowers are delicate to put them together is counter intuitive to what one would expect. It can be a metaphor for how people are thought of by others. A diamond in the rough so to speak. (CORNY). Improvements would be to keep going, to keep playing with and experimenting with different grits of sand paper and different paints. 

The Sound of a Jet Engine”
Ballpoint pen on card board.
To me the sound of a jet engine is a swirling circular sound that spins and vibrates. It’s a mechanic sound that’s also highly organic in what I would imagine it’s visual flow to be. I tried to capture this in a drawing. I didn’t want to draw a perfect spiral, to me the sound of a jet engine has debris of sound intermixed with the main sound so there’s visual debris drawn with the pen. The texture of the card board interacted with the lines and makes them appear to vibrate on the page. The sound of the pen drawing on the cardboard while I was drawing was interesting in that it was similar to one of the sounds found in the sound of a jet engine. An expanded version of this piece would be better suited to the sound of a jet. The sound of a jet engine is a large, booming sound so naturally I feel that the drawing of the sound of a jet engine should also be large. I feel like a large scale drawing also has the potential to be more gestural than this small version furthering the attempt to capture a sound in a drawing. 

“Dissipation”
The materials used for this piece were rubbing alcohol and sharpie. First I scribbled with different colored sharpies all over the surface of the yupo paper. Then smoothed out the streaky marker lines with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol. Once the alcohol has dried I applied a thin coat of black India ink. While the black ink is still wet I dripped alcohol onto the wet ink.  The alcohol dissipates the ink and creates a weird effect that I’ve never done before. The meaning of this piece could be many things. It could be thought of as tearing away the black layers to reveal the color of one’s true self underneath. Something profoundly corny like that. I’d like to improve this piece by having the ink dry with a pure and clean color underneath rather than the muddied look it currently has. 

“Decorating the decorative”
Decorative art has always been of interest to me. The idea of something existing simply for the sake of being nice to look at is an appealing concept. However it has a shallow aspect to it that leaves something to be desired. For this experimental drawing I wanted to play with the notion of decorating something that’s already meant to be decorative. We often use flowers to decorate things such as tables, ourselves, and tombstones. With the use of patterned paper I’ve attempted to decorate the decorative. To adorn what is used for adornment. The idea for this piece is experimental both conceptually and physically. The play between acrylic paint, oil pastels, scrap paper, and water color is something I’ve never done before and I’m interested in the play between these various media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment