Sunday, March 23, 2014

Elder (Thompson)

Jim Thompson, my grandfather.

Not chosen out of convenience, but because I would like to appreciate the time I have left with him. Last month he exhibited stroke symptoms and scans have revealed glioblastoma, a brain cancer with only 12% of patients surviving longer than 36 months. He underwent surgery to remove the tumor behind his eye, and is finishing the first stages of radiation therapy. He lives here in Albuquerque, and is awake and even a little conversational when I visit.

He spent his career in the Navy, and coordinating weapons and nuclear waste disposal at Sandia. He retired just a few years ago. He displays a gentle kindness everywhere he goes. His personality is soft, and honorable. His humor is subtle but often present. He enjoys war movies, watching news, and shooting.

1 comment:

  1. My Aunt had the same thing, I hope you have a wonderful time with him and continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete