Sunday, March 2, 2014

Continued Discussion on Abstraction

Narrative art is art that has recognizable objects or figures that tell a story or show a moment in a story.
Leonid Afremov, Dance Under the Rain, Oil Paint on Canvas

Non-narrative art doesn't have any kind of story, and is usually more ambiguous than narrative art.
Jaison Cianelli, Warm Seas-Abstract Art
EDIT:
Figurative art is art that visually represents something accurately or semi accurately.
Abstract art has no recognizable objects or figures.
Personally I don't think that figurative art can be non-narrative because if there is some sort of object a story comes to mind. If there's a figure standing there you can sense an emotion and a story from it. I think abstract art can be narrative sometimes because you can tell a story with only color and shapes instead of figures and objects. The abstract eye definitely reads as non-narrative, while the whole eye reads as narrative. I think the abstract one doesn't read as narrative because you can't necessarily tell that it's an eye, it just reads as texture. I don't think the figurative eye directly gives you narrative, but you can draw narrative from it. Since I have a cat, the figurative eye kind of tells me the story of when I wake up in the morning and all I see is my cat eye, very close to mine asking for some breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment