Saturday, April 19, 2014

Abstract Art (Banach)

Clyfford Still
Abstract Expressionism
1957-D No. 1
1957 - Oil on Canvas
113 x 159 in.
1. I would describe this as an abstract painting with an intense feel. The use of black with a bright color adds to the intensity of the image. Clyfford Still is most closely linked to Abstract Expressionism. The irony of this, is that he spent most of his life criticizing and rejecting this movement. Abstract Expressionism - is an art movement developed in the 1940's in New york that is derived from the emotional intensity and self-denial the work portrays; it is neither especially abstract nor expressionism. Additionally, it has an image of being rebellious, anarchic, highly idiosyncratic, and, some feel, nihilistic.

2. The tools used are oil paints and canvas. He used much impasto (thick, textural paint). I think he used these tools very effectively to created his intense strokes that almost look like rips. Any thinner it would not look as effective. I definitely think it is built strongly, as it's incredibly striking, and formally as well. The use of color and shape are great, albeit missing formal line which is okay.

3. My response to this piece is surprisingly a positive one. I've never been too keen on abstract art in general, but for some reason this one speaks to me. I want to say it is non-narrative because no defined object or scenario is clearly visible, however, I create a narrative when I see it. So does that make it narrative? Hmmmm. I almost think this looks like melted wax on a wood plank or something slowly encompassing a surface.

4. Statement: "Each painting is an episode in a personal history, an entry in a journal," and "My work in its entirety is like a symphony in which each painting has its part." The titles of his paintings, which contain dates, letters, and numbers that signify the order in which they were created, support this explanation." - I agree that there is a personal effect to the imagery, thus supporting the idea of the journal entry. Yes, this was my initial reaction.

5.  Constructive criticism would be too maybe use more shades or tones of the selected color to add more expression.

Wassily Kandinsky
The Last Judgement
Oil on Canvas
1912
1. I would describe this painting as being on the cusp of abstract and having a recognizable image. Although there is no defined image, I got a sense of narrative upon first glance. Kandinsky was a pioneer of and part of the early Abstract art movement. This movement began in the early 1900's throughout. In a nutshell, this movement is the depiction in a painting that does not represent a person, place, or thing in the natural world. The subject of what you see is based on colors and shapes, etc.

2. The tools being used are oil on canvas. I think he effectively used his tools to capture the spirit of the image. It almost look watercolor-esque when you first glance, which I think is a great manipulation of the tools. Formally, I do believe this piece is built strongly. The use of line and shape and color are well thought out.

3. My response to this piece is the feeling of happiness! There is a sense of child like behavior going on in the piece and it makes me thing of being young. I think this piece does not have a distinct narrative, but that someone can come up with one on their own. Mine is of kids in a car at an amusement park!

4. Kandinsky is said to have been able to see music and hear color. I think this statement is heavily depicted in his work. After reading about this I do get a sense of music notes and fluidity that comes from sound.

5.  The only criticism I can think of, is to apply heavier coats of the paint and see how it manipulates the image read.


Jackson Pollock
Gestural Abstraction (Action Painting)
Enchanted Forest
Oil on canvas
1947 - 221.3 x 114.6 cm
1. I would describe this piece as what I consider the epitome of abstract art. You can clearly tell there is no defined image or attempt at one. Jackson Pollock was best know for his drip method that represented the Gestural Abstract Movement that took place in the early 1940's c. NYC. This movement emphasizes the process of making art, often through a variety of techniques that include dripping, dabbing, smearing, and even flinging paint on to the surface of the canvas. 

2.  The tools being used are oil on canvas, and for the aesthetic of Jackson Pollock I would say he used his material effectively. You get to see what paint does when there is no structure. I do not think these images are constructed formally however.

3. My response to this piece is positive. I like street style art and this reminds me of it for the non formality. I do not believe there is a narrative, but i feel that the artist was expressing emotion with each drip of paint. The act was more important the the outcome, to me.

4.  Some of the inspiration for his paintings came from the Native American sand art he saw as a child and his own method of working resembled a form of ritualised dance around the canvas which was laid out flat on the floor. After reading this, yes I do see where he is coming from!

5. Honestly, I think these types of paintings have so much going on that it is hard to critique a certain element. I would maybe like to see more color?


No comments:

Post a Comment